In the beginning of a new love affair, when everything is coming up roses, it’s difficult to see anything but unlimited potential for this fresh and wonderful connection. It’s easy to dream about wonderful things like kids, a loving home and mutual commitment — your heart’s truest desires. But, especially in the early days, how can you know whether your relationship will stand the test of time? That’s where astrology comes in — specifically, astrological aspects. Professional astrologers can cast a horoscope called a synastry chart, which is a picture of how your birth chart matches up with your sweetheart’s. The astrologer can analyze how the planets in your chart match up with those of that special someone, and use that information to determine the long-term odds of your love affair turning into serious mutual devotion.
But even those who aren’t professional astrologers can benefit from astrology’s wisdom, from the very beginning of a brand-new love connection. Even if you don’t yet know your crush’s birthday, pay attention to how you relate with one another. How well do you get along, and how often do you push each other’s buttons? How much sexual chemistry do you share, and how natural and compelling does it feel? Do your long-term goals match up or clash? These clues can reveal the likelihood of certain astrological aspects being present in your synastry chart, which have a great deal of influence on whether your love might last.
The major astrological aspects fall into two categories: soft aspects, which are also called flowing or beneficial; and hard aspects, or challenging ones. Sextiles and trines are the two soft aspects; these lend a love connection that sense of ease, pleasure and harmony that is essential to getting along in the long term. The hard aspects are conjunctions, squares, oppositions and quincunxes. At least some of these are present in almost every synastry chart, but too many can signify too much tension, or too many challenges and disagreements — in short, too much pressure and difficulty for the relationship to last.
To determine which astrological aspects your synastry chart with your crush or your sweetie might contain, read the following clues and information. From there, you can consider your own needs, desires and expectations in an intimate relationship, and thereby gain a much better picture of whether this could become a love connection that stands the test of time.
Conjunctions: A hard aspect that creates intensity in the relationship; whether that’s a positive or a challenging thing depends on the two planets involved, as well as on the individual personalities of the two lovers. Certain conjunctions in a synastry chart create a feeling of being made for one another, while others can promote intense, compelling sexual magnetism between you. Still others, however, can create feelings of unwanted obligation, restlessness or even anger. Too many of this latter type of conjunction in a synastry chart doesn’t bode well for a lasting connection.
Signs that your synastry chart contains some conjunctions:
· Your personalities and goals are very similar; since you met, you’ve both felt as if you just “get” one another.
· Your immediate, mutual sexual chemistry is so hot that it’s downright irresistible.
· When you disagree, it feels as if your sweetheart is challenging the very essence of who you are, which can lead to some major battles between you.
· You two are so much alike that sometimes, you’re almost too similar; having the same weaknesses and the same strengths can really make you butt heads.
Sextiles and Trines: Soft aspects that create a sense of pleasure and harmony between two people; the energy of the two planets involved just flows. These aspects are essential to a lasting love affair; without them, there wouldn’t be enough mutual appreciation and good feeling to hold you together. However, too many trines or sextiles in a synastry chart can lead to a wonderful, lasting friendship, but may not provide enough dynamic energy or sexual tension for a romantic relationship.
Signs that your synastry chart contains some sextiles and/or trines:
· It feels incredibly easy and natural to share your innermost emotions, needs, fears and desires with each other.
· You share a feeling of mutual trust that was instant and intuitive almost as soon as you started spending time together.
· You feel very supported by your lover, and you find it easy to give them the same level of comfort, encouragement and reassurance that they give you.
· The time you spend together just feels right, as if you’ve been best friends for a thousand years.
Squares: A hard aspect that creates friction, irritation and conflict in a relationship, but can also create intriguing sexual tension; squares can even promote important personal growth over time. In terms of a relationship’s longevity, squares can go either way, depending on the personalities, needs and expectations of the two people involved. If you’re both open to personal transformation, able to deal with conflict productively as it arises, and willing to face your own personality quirks and challenges, squares can provide some dynamic energy to a long-lasting love affair. However, too many squares in a synastry chart can signify too much mutual irritation to make it work over time.
Signs that your synastry chart contains some squares:
· You and your sweetie bicker a lot, but you find this type of interaction oddly stimulating.
· You initially disliked this person because they got on your nerves, but somehow, your attraction toward them grew over time.
· You thought you really got along well with your crush, until you started spending more time together. Then, everything they did and said began rubbing you the wrong way.
· When one of you is being selfish, unkind or not completely honest, the other person calls you out on it. While this can hurt, you both appreciate the reality check along with the opportunity to become a better version of yourself.
Oppositions: A hard aspect that can have a polarizing effect on the two people involved. Oppositions can make even intimate lovers feel as if they’re facing off from two separate sides of a fence — as if their perspectives are so far apart, they’re completely and irrevocably different. To overcome the effects of an opposition requires empathy and compromise from both partners. As with squares, too many challenging oppositions in a synastry chart can spell the end of the relationship, but these aspects can also inspire two lovers to work together in a complementary and mutually supportive way.
Signs that your synastry chart contains some oppositions:
· The longer you’re together and the better you get to know one another, the easier it becomes to compromise — since you’ve had to learn this skill the hard way.
· You recognize that you and your sweetheart have some key personality differences, and you actually appreciate this; they fill in where you leave off, and vice versa.
· The more time you spend together, the more obvious it becomes that your outlooks are very different, and this makes you feel uncomfortably distanced from your sweetheart.
· Sometimes, you find yourself wondering exactly who your sweetie really is; they’re just so different from the person you thought you were falling in love with, that sometimes they seem like a stranger.
Quincunxes: A hard aspect that can pose a real challenge to a relationship. Quincunxes can lead to a general sense of having little in common, with no adequate way to bridge the gap between you. In terms of whether the relationship will last, a general rule of thumb is that the more quincunxes there are in a synastry chart, the less likely it is that the two individuals will have enough in common to stay together long-term.
Signs that your synastry chart contains some quincunxes:
· Your dates are filled with awkward silences. You want to connect; you just aren’t sure what to say to get the conversation flowing.
· You may feel some sexual chemistry between you, but it’s as if you have completely different instincts and moves that leave each other cold.
· You come from very different backgrounds, and as you get to know each other better, you realize your needs and expectations in a relationship are somewhat incompatible.
· You truly like each other; that’s what makes your lack of common ground so confusing.