Psychic ability — some call it the sixth sense, others mere intuition, and still others foolish nonsense. For some, the phrase conjures little more than images of Tarot cards, crystal balls and charlatans. But many of us have had deeply spiritual or emotional experiences that defy logic or reason — experiences that confirm there most definitely is a psychic plane of existence, one that can be ignored at a cost or developed to our great benefit.
In truth, psychics are just like the rest of us, except they have learned how to tap into their subconscious minds and glean the rich information that lies there. After all, psychic ability is simply the ability to process subconscious or extrasensory perceptions at a conscious level. People who have learned to be sensitive and attuned can actually receive messages from the spirit world. Usually, these messages offer important guidance of some kind — insight into the solution to a problem, perhaps, or protection from potential danger. If you already possess psychic ability, continue trusting your instincts and honing your skills. If you don’t believe you are psychic, think again. Experiences you have chalked up to luck or coincidence may actually have been psychic moments when you tapped unconsciously into the wisdom of the universe.
Signs that you have psychic potential waiting to be tapped:
· You have had dreams that later came true in real life. In fact, simply remembering your dreams is a good first step toward honing your psychic abilities, as dreams are both a rich source of and a path toward subconscious awareness.
· You’ve been to places that you recognized at a deep and familiar level, though you had never been there before. You may have been tapping into the history of the location itself, or into a past-life event you experienced there.
· A strong, immediate emotional reaction you had to someone turned out to be accurate, despite outward signs to the contrary, or despite how others around you perceived that person. If you work on noting and trusting these gut reactions, they will become stronger and more accurate over time.
· Sometimes you sense help is coming your way from an unknown source — a greater and benevolent force. This may be a spirit guide or the universe itself, sending you much-needed resources.
· Upon walking into a room, you sometimes get an immediate impression of the room’s energy, or even of specific events that have happened within its walls. You may be picking up on emotional residue left over from others’ experiences that played out there. Alternatively, you may be picking up on the emotional state of others in the room at that moment.
· You have a strong inner voice that sends you instructions in times of worry or confusion. This may have begun in childhood, if you had an imaginary friend who was actually quite real to you, who guided and protected you. Your inner voice may be your own intuition, or it may be counsel from your personal spirit guide.
· You have had mind-over-matter experiences when you exerted your mental will in order to make something specific occur. Perhaps you thought of this as simply being strong-minded, but in fact, you may have been unknowingly focusing your psychic energies, which helped you reach a certain goal.
· You have held an object and sensed something about its history — who owned it in the past, perhaps, or experiences its owner had. This is a strong indicator of psychic ability, since you are picking up on subtle human energies that remain with the object itself.
· You feel a strong connection with animals, and have sometimes felt you can read their thoughts, feelings or needs. Animals can be thought of as psychic, since they operate far more on instinct than logic. They tend to gravitate toward people who operate on a similar subconscious level.
· Coincidence plays a large role in your daily life. Perhaps a friend calls just when you were thinking of them, or you find a long-lost possession just when you really need it most. Consider that these aren’t coincidences at all — rather, that they are evidence of the mysterious workings of the universe. You can choose to tap into this cosmic force and make its wisdom available to you.
First and foremost, the key to enhancing your sixth sense is trusting yourself — heeding that inner voice that guides you. All too often, we learn to ignore our intuition, especially as we grow from childhood into busy, practical, and perhaps cynical adults. Once we start tuning in to our dreams, hunches, gut reactions and other intuitive thought processes, we can begin to be much more conscious in how we interact with the energies of the universe. Some people are able to communicate clearly and deliberately with their spirit guides; others are able to peer into the past or the future and use that information for help or healing. Tapping into your own psychic potential will open up a vast world of universal consciousness that can enrich your life in quite helpful and meaningful ways.